From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What Makes a Good Romance Novel?


In honor of Valentine's Day, today's post is dedicated to romance novels. As a reader, nothing thrills me more than a well-crafted romance novel.

Romance novels come in all types of genres. Sweet, contemporary, historical, fantasy, and of course, the steamy novel. No matter the genre, there's a certain format that we all look for in order to be satisfied at the end of the novel.

First off, we must start with a heroine worthy of our time. She must be interesting and not completely helpless. Add in an irresistible, handsome hero and a little conflict and you have the makings for a great book.

I don't know about you, but I must have the happy ending. There must be resolution or I'm left feeling disappointed. Here's a list of several good romances that appeared when I researched "Top Ten PG Romance Novels". I selected the ones that appeared on several different lists.

Beauty - A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley
Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick
Another Chance to Dream by Lynn Kurland
Frederica by Clifford Norgate
Crimson Roses by Grace Livingston Hill
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.

How about you...what's your favorite romance novel?

1 comment:

  1. "I liked Pride and Prejudice but prefer my classic romance novels to be a little darker and mysterious. I am a Wuthering Heights girl all the way. Though I suppose in terms of happy endings (or really happy anything) it is a little lacking."

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter