From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rediscovering Old Favorites in a New Format

So did you get an e-reader for Christmas? The opportunities abound as far as downloadable content.  Sometimes I find it difficult to browse for titles from my Nook.  If I'm shopping for a book without having anything in mind, I prefer to do that in the brick and mortar bookstore.  I'm still attracted by interesting covers and the text on the back jacket, giving me a glimpse into the feel of a book.

Recently, I've decided that it might be a good idea to download to my e-reader all those classic, notorious, or other books that I always meant to read, but never had the opportunity.  Right now I'm reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.   I've never read anything by Capote.  Heck, I haven't even seen the movie version of Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I borrowed the movie Capote starring Philip Seymour Hoffman from the library over my holiday break and decided I then had to read the author's seminal work.  I purchased In Cold Blood on my Nook for just under $5.  What a worthwhile purchase!  I'm not a true crime fan, but the writing in the book is spectacular.  If you've read it, you'll recall that it's non-fiction that reads like fiction.
In Cold Blood

Books on the craft of writing are coming out in e-versions as well.  Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones is getting a well-deserved new life through e-publishing. You can download it for less than $10.  Ms. Goldberg has taken  an active role in marketing the e-release of her book two decades after its first publication.  


Some other "older" books on writing available for your e-reader are On Writing:  A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King and Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott, which are both excellent and dirt cheap in e-book form!

Your e-reader is a great way to use new technology to connect with old favorites!  What kinds of books do you download?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter