From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Friday, November 5, 2010

Interview With Kylie Brant

Today, I'm interviewing romance author Kylie Brant.

FF: Kylie, thanks for being here today. Tell us a little bit about your background.


KB: I'm a Midwesterner, having lived my entire life in Iowa. We do quite a bit of traveling, especially once winter hits. We favor tropical locales once the snow starts flying!

FF: Tell us your latest news?



KB: Deadly Intent is Book 4 in The Mindhunters series from Berkley Sensation. Although part of a series about investigators who work for the legendary ex-FBI profiler Adam Raiker, each of the books stands alone. In Deadly Intent, forensic linguist Macy reed and investigator Kellan Burke race the clock to find an eleven-year-old girl who has been kidnapped--for the second time.


FF: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


KB: Writing always came easily to me in school, although I never considered doing it for a living. But I've always delighted in words, their nuances and inferences. I have always been a voracious reader, and I think we absorb quite a bit about good writing skills just by reading works by fine authors.


FF: What inspired you to write your first book?


KB: My favorite authors just couldn't write fast enough to keep me in reading material. So one summer I decided to try my hand at writing my own romance. That was 1990. I sold my first and second manuscripts to Silhouette in 1992.


FF: how does your family feel about your writing?


KB: My husband has always been very supportive. I have five kids and I started writing when they were 12, 11, 7, 4 and 4. So they've grown up with me writing. They sort of take it for granted, I think. However, now that I've branched out into single title books and sold them to Germany, they are taking more of an interest. And they are old enough to start reading them for themselves, so they have a big better idea of what the plots entail. The kids are proud of me--but that doesn't mean I don't take my share of ribbing. Nothing is sacred with those guys!


FF: What books have influenced your life most?


KB: The authors who inspired me to try writing for myself are the ones who I just couldn't wait for their next releases! Linda Howard, Nora Roberts, Elizabeth Lowell, Patricia Gardner Evans...they were some early favorites.


FF: What is your favorite book?


KB: My favorite books of all time are To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee; Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger; and Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain.


FF: What book are you reading now?


KB: Oh, I always have several books going at once! Right now I'm reading Silent Scream by Karen Rose and The Search by Nora Roberts.


FF: Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?


KB: Impossible for me to choose only one! I love Nora Roberts because her characterization has so much depth. Tami Hoag has fabulous suspense that never disappoints. And I love Lee Child and Robert Crais's recurring characters in their series.


FF: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?


KB: Recently, I've enjoyed Leslie Parrish and Kate Brady.


FF: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.


KB: When I started writing it was before email, and before the Internet. I didn't belong to any writing groups, nor did I know anyone who wrote. After my first sale my editor strongly suggested I join RWA. I have found such a wonderful sisterhood there and made some great friends. I look forward to the conference every summer just to catch up with my buddies!


FF: What are your current projects?


KB: Right now I'm writing the sixth and final installment to The Mindhunters series, Adam Raiker's story. And I already have an idea for a new series!


FF: Do you have anything you want to say to your readers?

KB: I always encounter readers who are a bit hesitant about joining a series midway in, if they haven't read the first few books. I just want to assure them that each of the Mindhunters books are stand alone novels. I can promise you won't feel lost if you start with Deadly Intent! The first three in the series were released last fall back to back and the third Waking The Dead, was a 2010 Rita finalist.


FF: Thank you so much for spending time with Fiction Flurry. Kylie's latest release Deadly Intent is getting fantastic reviews! Be sure to add it to your reading list. If you want more information about this author, please stop by her website www.kyliebrant.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter