From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Writing A Heartbreaking Scene: How Do You Go There?

So I've had a couple days off, and I spent a chunk of those days watching sappy click flicks and working on revising my manuscript. There are some really great tear jerking scenes in movies and books out there right now, just FYI. Anyway, when I think about writing a sad scene, like a break-up or something, I like to pull out some sappy movies and get my mind right. Writing a heart wrenching scene works so much better when you can feel empathy for your characters and a well written scene (movie or book) can draw you in and instantly make you feel that.


I was thinking of some of my go to movies and books that just bring out those emotions that in turn help me write better scenes in my own manuscripts and I thought I'd share. But I warn you now, most of my list is YA/Teen stories since that's what I write. Who knows, maybe someone I'll help someone get through a block. :)

Here goes:

Twenty Boy Summer (YA Novel)



The Sky Is Everywhere (YA Novel)




Twilight Saga (New moon break up scene...book or movie)



 A Walk to Remember



There's a few to get you started. Have any you want to share?


Happy NaNo Everyone!!

~Annie~

http://www.youngadultbookworm.blogspot.com/


2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love, love, loved The Sky is Everywhere! Such an awesome book!!! It's probably in my Top 5 of all the books I've read this year.

    And yes, New Moon has the total angst down pat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, I didn't answer the question, lol. Basically, I just put on some sad songs or sad soundtrack music and then just put myself in the moment with the characters. Angsty love comes REALLY easy to me! LOL And unfortunately, I channel a lot of what happened in my life for other sad scenes, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter