From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Journey to the 2012 RWA Conference

In the Fall of 2011 I decided that to complete my current manuscript I needed a solid deadline.  So, after chatting with a few of my writing friends I set one. The December 2nd entry deadline for RWA's Golden Heart competition for 2012.

I made this decision about mid October.  I was only 40,000 words into my manuscript. Consequently, I spent the entire month of November finishing my WIP completing it at approximately 78,000 words.  Needless to say, I was mostly brain dead for the month of December.  But it was well worth the effort.  I was on fire! I made the deadline and entered my novel into the competition.

While I wait to hear if I make the finals, announced March 26th, I have been perfecting my synopsis and query letter.  Reducing my novel down to a handful of pages is the most technical and powerful piece of writing I've done.

To enhance my nervousness and anticipation my dearest husband, Sgt. Dan, encouraged me to immerse myself in the journey.  So, I registered for the 32nd Annual RWA Conference, to be held in Anaheim, California this year!  Yay me! Little did he know exactly what his encouragement would entail.


Conference registration completed.
Plane tickets booked.
Hotel arrangements made.


I am going with the lovely Susan Gee Heino.  Who has graciously agreed to take me under her wing and make sure I do not get lost or go fan girl crazy on Stephanie Laurens, the keynote speaker. I hope to get a picture with her and not pass out in the process or make a complete fool of myself.  If I can at least be coherent enough to remember my own name I'll be satisfied.

Next up on the to do list, SHOPPING!  New dresses are first, not to mention that I need an elegant number for the awards banquet along with matching shoes.

In the mean time, I'll be working on my next project.  I have the support of the man I love, my family and friends.  What more could a girl ask for?



2 comments:

  1. Please post about your time there. it sounds like a great time to be had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you can be sure I will! I can't wait to share pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter