From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rejection Thrusday: Stay Positive


Rejection is something everyone experiences at some point in their lives. Rejection happens in love, careers and friendship. Sometimes, it's just barely a sting to the ego, while other times you wonder if you'll ever make it through alive. For us writers, rejection happens quite often. Someone telling you the novel you've slaved over for months sucks, is like someone telling you that your baby is ugly. I know, because this has happened to me several times.

For me, a generic rejection letter doesn't sting quite as bad as being a finalist or being 'this close' to grabbing your dream agent or a spot in publishing house. I can't tell you how many times I have finaled in a contest, only to be told later that the plot is good but the story is missing XYZ. That literally makes me want to pull my hair out or bang my head against my desk (See above picture for stress relief solutions). LOL. I'd rather miss something by a mile, than to be so close that I can almost touch it, my hopes all amped up, only to have the door once again swung in my face. I can see why so many people give up after a short time, because sometimes it feels like it's never going to happen. Makes you think, hey, maybe I should just give up now, right?

WRONG!!!!

After a countless number of times hearing the dirty word no, it only takes one yes. One person to say, I love this, do you already have an agent? One person to say, this is fabulous I want to buy it and send it out to the masses because I believe it'll be a best seller. That one little yes can completely change everything. Those months or years of struggling will haven't been for nothing, because it'll only make you appreciate your success that much more!

So don't give up my friends, stay positive, and I know soon it's gonna happen for all of us who are currently struggling.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Annie! I know you'll be hearing good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, first off, I love the kit! I've been using one similar to that for years. Ha! Of course, I agree with Rachel and Colleen, your day is fast approaching :) You'll get to yes very soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter