From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday Writer's Tip

Today we start a new weekly feature called Wedneday Writer's Tip, where each week we'll be posting our favorite tip on how to improve our writing. This week, my tip is about writing with passion.

“He submits to be seen through a microscope, who suffers himself to be caught in a fit of passion” - Johann Kaspar Lavatar, Swiss Theologian

From the tone of this quote, Mr. Lavatar implies that passion is something to be rooted out and willed into submission by any means possible. Of course, as an 18th century church deacon, I guess that was part of his job title.

However, I would propose that, as a writer, being caught in a "fit of passion" is part of my job title. To be a writer is to expose a part of yourself to the world. To allow strangers to see into your soul and judge you - good or bad. Perhaps the scariest thing for a writer to do, since we spend our time locked away, alone in our writing cubbies, with only the cat for a critic (no wait, that's just me).

I know my personal journey towards publication is as much about being validated as a writer as it is about the story itself. I want people to see my work. I want to shout "I'm a writer" from the rooftops, while holding my hot-off-the-press hardcover aloft.

But in order to get to that point (I'll be sending out invitations for my rooftop foray, don't worry), I have to write. And I have to write with all of the passion I have. I can't worry about what others will think of my writing - only what I think. I write my stories for an audience, so sure, the readers are on my mind as I put words to paper. But I write for me. I write because I have to. It's not a choice, it's a passion.

I'm okay with being under the microscope, as long as I know that my writing conveys my passion for the story. I encourage all writers to be passionate about their writing - and not to worry who's looking.

4 comments:

  1. Yep. Well said.

    The hardest thing about becoming a writer (or any other type of artist, performer, athlete, etc.) is overcoming fear and paranoia of not measuring up. "I think my stuff is OK...isn't it?"

    But then you start second guessing. "Maybe I’m being self-delusional. Maybe my stuff really sucks!" Then you spiral downwards.

    It's like your worst fears of delivering a speech before a large audience. “Why are they all laughing?” Then you look down to find yourself naked.

    One thing a writer needs to realize is that he or she will never achieve "universal love and acclaim". There will always be those "one" and "two star” Amazon reviews to for the paranoid writer to obsess over.

    It's no different than food preferences. Some people love Chinese, but Mexican makes them sick. If a reader outside you audience happens to get hold of your book, and it leaves a bad taste, it's no different than a picky eater going to a new restaurant, only to find out it’s Mexican (I for one love Mexican).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, these are words of wisdom that I would do better to heed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Michele. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, very well put, and I agree completely!

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter