From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Do Writers Ever Rest?

I've just returned from an eight day family vacation. Although I didn't bring my laptop with me, I didn't completely rest from my writing. At first I was a little anxious to be away from my work in progress for that long, I knew I would miss my characters.

I learned a few things though from taking a "rest". Resting and procrastinating are two different things. This resting time actually allowed my brain the time it needed to work out a few plot problems that had been simmering in my mind. I just brought along a good old fashioned notebook and pen, and all of my thoughts were easily recorded.

The time away from my story also allowed my mind to drift over to the next project which has been stirring around in my mind for a few months now. So while I was technically resting from my writing, my mind was still working. Whatever the reason, sometimes it helps to take a step back from your work in progress.

Happy Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter