From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Monday, June 28, 2010

Miscellaneous Monday - Craft Writing Books

How many books on writing fiction do you own? Do you read them? I must confess, I have acquired quite a collection, thinking that each will possess that little secret needed to push my writing to the next level.

The truth of the matter is, books on writing are meant to be a help in your writing, not replace it. I have been writing fiction for a little over eight years, and the best tip I have ever received on writing from a writing book is......well....to write. We can improve our writing skills by simply writing. Even if it's only one page a day, it will keep your skills sharp.

That being said, here is a list of my top five favorite writing books. Please comment back and share a few of yours.

Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
Writing For The Soul by Jerry Jenkins
On Writing by Stephen King
Self Editing by James Scott Bell
Hooked by Les Edgerton

Happy Writing!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a writing book junkie as well, only I don't have the discipline to write every day like you do, Colleen. A really good book is "Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass, who is a literary agent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, thanks for these recommendations! I will have to check out these titles. Now I've just got to get the writing every day thing down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to thank you for the shout-out of my book, Hooked. I really appreciate it, Colleen. I happy that you found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback Les. I've recommended you book to more than one fellow writer.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter