From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

From Adults to Teens and Everything In Between

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rejection Thursday - Face-To-Face Rejection

Last week I shared with you a copy of a rejection letter I received for my first novel, Come As You Are. (See last weeks post if you missed it.) Honestly, it took a little time to recover from that one, but in the end, I looked at what I could improve, and learned from that rejection.

Today I want to talk about face-to-face rejection. Sitting in front of an editor or agent, presenting them with your "elevator" pitch, only to see that look in their eyes that says they have absolutely no interest. While this experience is uncomfortable, resist taking it personally. Instead, turn it into an opportunity to ask questions.

Questions like, What projects are you currently looking for? Could you give me a little feedback on my writing? And most importantly, Do you know anyone in the industry who might be interested in this project?

While getting rejected in person is more difficult, use every opportunity you have as a learning experience.

Happy Writing!

1 comment:

  1. Colleen, thanks for this good advice! These are some excellent questions to pose when sitting across the table from "no." The learning curve in writing can certainly be steep, but as you point out, use these opportunites to GROW and IMPROVE! (Yes, I know...easier said than done!)

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter